Friday, July 11, 2014

Five on Friday: Five Things That Are Good About Summer


I'm about to share an opinion of mine that you may not agree with. Are you ready? I'm preparing for the backlash on this one, but here goes!

 ------
*Summer is NOT the best season of the year.*
------

There. I said it. I don't really like summer a whole lot. I never have. I can't take the heat.

(Seriously. I hate being hot. It's been close to 90 degrees all week. Ugh.)

Anyway, that being said, I will admit that there are some good things about summer. And honestly, I can probably come up with more than five things - but since this is not FIFTEEN on Friday I will stick with five of my most favorite things.

Five Things that are Good About Summer:

#5 - Thunderstorms. I like a good thunderstorm. Not of the damaging variety, but just a nice, hot afternoon rumbler with a good rain shower. And I love the way it smells after a storm.

#4 - Greenhouses. I really like wandering through a greenhouse and looking at all the beautiful flowers and plants and imagining how my flowerbeds and garden would look if I could afford to buy all the plants I liked. (Which would pretty much be the entire stock of the greenhouse. Except for geraniums. I do not like geraniums.)

#3 - Ice cream. Okay... ice cream is good at any time of the year. But especially during summer. And when served outdoors, on a cone, at the end of a long, hot day.

#2 - Fresh produce. Whether it is from your own garden, or someone else's, nothing beats fresh, locally grown, vine-ripened veggies and fruit. (Bonus points if it is from your own garden, because there's just something miraculous and special about growing your own food.)

#1 - Outside activities. The weather is usually perfect for all kinds of outside activities (unless it is over 84 degrees) - hiking, water play, biking, boating, horseback riding, etc. And if the kids are restless I can just send them out the door and they can play for hours in the backyard with nothing more than a shovel and a bucket and their swingset/playhouse. (Or, lacking that, they can play for hours with a pile of dirt and a couple of sticks.... tell me again why we have so many toys???)

How about you? What do you enjoy the most about summer? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!