Friday, March 5, 2021

Follow the Fearless Leader

When I was a kid, one thing we often did as a family was to go biking. I remember heading out for a ride many Saturday afternoons, after we cleaned house and worked on projects all morning. I think back on those times with fondness now… but I can’t say that I always enjoyed the experience at the time. I could be pretty opinionated, and typically my opinion was that I wanted to do whatever else we weren’t planning on doing. Now I’ve got kids of my own, and whenever we make plans, it seems like at least one of them is usually doing the same thing I used to do. (I’ll bet you anything my mom is having a good chuckle to herself as she reads this.) Yeah, I whined and complained and generally pitched a fit. Maybe more often than not (you’d have to ask my mom…). I’d want to know, “Where are we going?” “Which way are we going?” and “When will we be back home?” A lot of times my mom would just answer me by saying, “We’re following our fearless leader!” My dad led our rides. He was our fearless leader. My brother and I would usually ride in the middle, and my mom would bring up the rear. “Follow our fearless leader!” Whether riding on roads, rail trails, or singletracks through the woods, I feel like I heard that phrase countless times. And, regardless of my protests, we did it. And we always made it home.

Hiking along after their fearless leader.

Years have passed, and my worries aren’t typically related to the length and location of bike rides anymore; but, to be honest, my complaints probably still sound pretty similar. “Can’t I do something else instead?” “How long is this going to take?” “Where am I even going right now?!” “Will this never end?!?” If I focus on trying to answer my many questions – if I focus on my fears and problems – I end up stressed out and anxious because of my own inadequacies. The best strategy I can undertake when facing the unknown is to keep my focus on the Lord. He is my “fearless leader.” No circumstances intimidate Him. Difficulties don’t put a roadblock in His path. My nervousness won’t dissuade His confidence. He always knows the way. 


What are some ways that we can keep our eyes on God in spite of the many distractions vying for our attention? Reading and studying the scriptures, and even committing at least some of them to memory, builds a strong foundation and keeps us grounded. Prayer is our lifeline and direct connection to God. Worship builds intimacy with Him, calms our racing mind, and settles our spirit. Sometimes, to do these things we have to fight through our feelings. Let’s be honest here – we’re not always going to feel like sitting down and reading our Bible, or spending time in prayer, or worshipping. Choosing to do at least one or two simple things even when we don’t feel like it is going to bear fruit anyway, because time spent in the presence of the Lord is never, ever wasted.

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven 
and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, 
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; 
it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, 
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.”
- Isaiah 55: 10-11 (ESV)

We don’t always have to read several chapters in one sitting or spend an hour on our knees. If all you can manage is one verse, read that one verse. If all you can pray is a whispered, “Lord, help,” then pray that. Even a small start is still a start! 

We don’t have to have all the answers or even know where the path goes. We just have to follow the footsteps of our fearless leader.

How about you? What are some things that you do to help maintain your focus on the Lord? Leave a comment below. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!