Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Community of Believers, Part Two:

Facing Conflict

In my last post (read it here if you haven’t yet), I presented a challenge to us as believers:  To resolve to purposefully and intentionally live our lives in community with each other. Throughout the entirety of the Bible, we read of the importance of unity within the Body of Christ. However, history shows us that the church has always struggled to maintain a sense of unity in spite of our differences. Current events reveal that this hasn’t changed. Without a doubt, it will be something that we always have to work at. Today’s post builds off of the last one, and specifically addresses those times when our fellow believers disagree with us and/or do things that are irritating, malicious, or hurtful.

If the challenge we have is to live in community, then the solution ought to be simple, right? Just do it! Be an active church member. Share. Help your neighbor. Be a caring friend. Mentor and disciple those newer in the faith. And so forth.

Whoa, hold on a minute! Not so fast… We are talking about people here, after all. People make mistakes. People can be fickle, and downright mean. I could sit here and relate how I’ve been hurt by people. I could complain. It might even feel kind of good to voice what has happened, and what I think of certain individuals because of it. And because I know you’ve had similar experiences, too (everyone has), you could commiserate with me. Together we could add more bricks to the walls that we build to keep ourselves at a distance from our fellow man.

I’ll be honest with you – I have lived that way at times. At some point I started building walls. I suspect that many, if not all, of us have to some extent. I remember being in elementary school, and something happening between a friend and I. Whatever happened has long been erased from my memory – I’m sure it was nothing particularly traumatic – but I can still vividly remember the feeling of betrayal that I was left with. I’m not sure if this was when I started being more guarded with people or not, but I’m positive that it contributed. Over time, additional experiences added to my skepticism about getting too close to many people. I spent many years as a bitter and reactive person… though most people didn’t know me that way. It was mainly an internal struggle, really only noticed by a few who were closest to me. When it caused me the most trouble was when I needed to reach out for help, because I couldn’t do it. My pride and distrust were strong and I didn’t overcome them for a long time. It ended up taking a desperate situation to produce some change in that area of my life. I wish I would have realized sooner…

Offense. Betrayal. Distrust. Bitterness. We need to realize that the enemy fully intends to use these types of wounds to his advantage (and our detriment). If given an inch, he will take a mile. He wants to push us apart. He wants us to remain walled-off and guarded against each other, because he knows that when we are together, we are stronger. We need to learn to fight smart! Our battle is not really against the person standing in front of us, it is with the enemy positioned behind them. When we pray for discernment and start to learn to recognize the devil’s schemes, then we can look at what’s happening and say, “No. Not today. I’m not going to walk into that trap.”

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”

- Ephesians 6: 10-13 (NIV)

Regardless of how we feel when we are wounded, allowing ourselves to become bitter and hardened against people just isn’t the answer. Our emotions can be extremely misleading. Putting up walls in an attempt to protect ourselves so that we don’t get hurt again won’t ever work. It won’t even make us feel better. In doing this, we’ll just find ourselves growing in hatred and becoming more and more isolated, as I did. What we initially thought was a healthy independence will become a toxic poison, eating away at us. We simply weren’t designed to live that way. Being hurt stinks, obviously. There’s no way around that. No one chooses to be hurt. When we are hurt, though, we have a choice to make. What are we going to do? How are we going to respond? Will we immediately react defensively based on our emotions? Will we wound others in return? Will we allow that emotional, knee-jerk reaction to run our lives from here on out? Or, will we pray and seek the Lord’s help to contend with our emotions before we react? Will we deal with those who hurt us in a Biblical manner (Matthew 18: 15-17)? Will we forgive and allow God to heal our lives so that we can move on and be free from the burdens that others tried to place on us?

“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

- Colossians 3: 13 (NIV)

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

- John 13: 34-35 (NIV)

I’ve said it before, and I’m going to keep on saying it: God meant for us to live in community with other believers. He created us with that need. And yes, He knows people! He knows what challenges we will face as we get involved in each other’s lives. PJ and I – it’s no secret that we aren’t perfect. You don’t have to ask around to try and get the scoop; we’ll tell you that ourselves. Guess what? You’re not perfect either! Neither is the person sitting next to you in the pew, the guy running the sound board, the greeter at the front door, or the individual filling the pulpit. Mistakes will certainly be made. Though I’m sure there are exceptions, most of us don’t join a church with a deliberate bent towards injuring someone else’s heart. Invariably at some point it happens, though… because no one is perfect and we all make errors. As in any relationship, work is required. Truly loving others requires making a conscious choice to do so.


Our emotions will have us wavering all over the place if we follow them; but it we remain centered on God, we will be better able to deal with our ever-changing feelings. If we want to maintain strong, healthy relationships within the community of believers, it is absolutely essential that we begin by looking at ourselves. Our first priority needs to be maintaining a close relationship with our Lord through prayer and reading the Word. We can’t skip over that part, as the rest will build upon this foundation.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

- Philippians 4: 6-7 (NIV)

“All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

- 2 Timothy 3: 16-17 (NIV)

The conversation continues! Let's take a deeper look at church life, and at our personal responsibilities. I’ll be wrapping up this series of posts soon with, “The Community of Believers, Part Three (Taking Action).”

Click here to read Part Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!